Looks good, Please Share
Ham, turkey, roast pork or steak are mostly the star on holiday dinner table.
But most people are craving for the side dishes, and one of the most favorites are the big carbs like rice, mash potatoes, mac and cheese, and different kinds of pasta.
These heavy carbs contains many calories that can actually hurt our diet and will lead to weight gain fast.
Carbohydrates are both good and bad to our health. Know the recommended amount to consume and lists of good carbs to intake and you should be fine.
Why not try these side dishes instead to enjoy your holiday dining?
- Vegetable Salad – vegetables are very light and rich of healthy minerals like protein, fiber and vitamins which are good for our body. You can also add up some fruits to your salad for more flavors. Also dressings are very important so don’t overdo or use heavy dairy products like ranch or mayo.
- Recipe: In a large bowl, mix all the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, parsley and basil. Toss it well with vinegar/balsamic, olive oil, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. This is best on ham or steaks.
- Quinoa – is a very good grain with contains enough carbs and fiber. For all the meats we eat this recipe will ensure proper digestion.
- Recipe: Put a cup of quinoa to a pot with cups of water add some salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil until quinoa is cook. Put some spinach, tomatoes or beans to it for some added flavors. Include this recipe with your roasted chicken or pork.
- Beans – is a good source of low-fat proteins, full of fibers and rich in nutrients. Adding beans to your daily diet is good for lowering body fat and controlling weight.
- Recipe: Load the beans into a pot, add some onions, bay leaf and bacon then bring to boil. Reducing the heat, let it simmer for an hour allowing the beans to soften make sure to stir it once in a while. Then add some spices like paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Simmer it again wait until soft and creamy. This recipe are best with barbeques.
- Sweet Potatoes – when you say healthy diet, this crop is one of the most favorite. Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients such as potassium, beta-carotene and fibers which are good for cutting weight.
- Recipe: Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly and load them on a pot with water (just enough maybe half pot). Bring to boil for about 20-t30 minutes or until soft. To check if its already cook, use a fork and pinch the middle part of the potato, if the fork gets through it’s ready to eat. Serve it with some grilled chicken or medium-rare steak.
- Salsa – it is a Mexican favorite sides full with vegetables and herbs that are good our body.
- Recipe: Toss some chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley and corn. Add some lime, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Best serve with steak or chicken.
Enjoy the holiday eating healthy options, so you won’t feel bad for your body after the festivities.